Search My Blog

Sunday, March 07, 2010

The English Provender Co. Very Lazy Ginger Review



Advantages: No peeling or grating required (quick and easy way to add flavor)

Disadvantages: Difficult to gauge how much to use!

If you like to cook curries from scratch, enjoy the odd stir fry or Middle Eastern cuisine, this is definitely a product you will find invaluable. If it's good enough for Delia Smith; then it must be good enough for every cook!! The product is also suitable for vegetarians and vegans.

EPC or the English Provender Company, also produce Very Lazy Garlic and caramelised red onions both are very good addition to the store-cupboard.





I have used Very Lazy Ginger for the first time tonight to liven up my korma. It has added a lovely taste; I will always have a jar in my fridge. I'm not sure whether that will make me a very lazy cook but it certainly means that I will always be prepared for recipes which call for root ginger as an ingredient!

Being a busy single mum, I was looking for a product which could allow me to add great taste to my home cooking without the hassle of peeling and grating. This sounded like the perfect product!

The ginger is quite coarsely grated and is preserved in a white wine vinegar and I find it hard to tell the difference between the taste of freshly grated ginger and this product. Don't be put off by the word vinegar, as this evaporates when it starts cooking. In fact, the only drawback I have found is that where a recipe calls for a certain length of ginger, it's necessary to guess the quantity in strands. However, this isn't too difficult if you keep tasting as you go along. You'll soon know if you've added too much!

Summary: A great product which cuts out all the hassle and will last up to 12 weeks in the fridge.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Hi found your blog via BMB. I also love, the lazy garlic and the lazy chilli - clearly I'm a lazy girl!